Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mysterious

Yesterday, I met a nineteen year old with left sided pain. She also had a positive pregnancy test and her period was late. Not unusual in my line of work.

What was unusual, was that she said that she had never had sex. This conversation took place in front of her mother, so I don't know if that was the reason for her answer. I don't know if it was true that she was a virgin. She was extremely distressed and her mother was convinced she had a rare form of ovarian cancer.

I was torn between doubting the patient and my diagnosis - after all, the most common cause of a positive pregnancy test is, well, pregnancy.

A scan showed an intra uterine pregnancy of about 6 weeks. She left the hospital. I think she has gone to have a termination. I am worried about how she'll cope. I don't know what happened here - heavy petting perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. "What was unusual, was that she said that she had never had sex."

    Unusual case indeed.:)

    Thanks,
    Peny@Are Nurses Addicted to Coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Robbie, and I'm editing In Rude Health, a book of humorous medical anecdotes that will be illustrated and published at Christmas-time by Freight Books, a small Scottish publisher (www.freightbooks.co.uk). In my research for this book I've been reading through blogs such as yours, and I was wondering if you would have any you'd like to contribute. Naturally, the more risqué the might be the better, but what I'm aiming to do is make something funny and enjoyable, but which also shows Joe public just what sort of things you folk in the NHS have to deal with.

    Naturally all stories submitted will be treated as completely anonymous. I do hope you will consider submitting a story or two. Please email them to: inrudehealth@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete